(new nation) — days after the authorities called “a” Targeted attack on substation in North CarolinaNewsNation has exclusively obtained a recent federal law enforcement memo that previously warned of the possibility of similar attacks.
Some of the notes are:
Power companies in Oregon and Washington have reported physical attacks on substations using hand tools, arson, firearms and metal chains in response to online calls for attacks on critical infrastructure. … in recent attacks, criminals have compromised security by cutting fence links, lighting nearby fires, shooting equipment from a distance, and throwing objects over fences and onto equipment. Avoided.
federal law enforcement officer
Officials told NewsNation on Tuesday it was too early to know the motives behind the shootings. Massive blackout in Moore County, North Carolinabut there have been similar instances of vandalism and conspiracy across the country in recent months.
For example, on November 11, a Jones County, North Carolina sheriff’s deputy was charged with criminal vandalism. 12,000 people without power for several days.
That investigation is still ongoing, and officials say no suspects have been identified or arrested.
In another case dating back to February, the Justice Department secured Guilty pleas from three men accused of conspiracy Shoot substations across the country with powerful rifles. Federal officials said the defendant was a white supremacist and planned to cause damage and social unrest to millions.
Federal officials have been warning of domestic terrorism-related threats to critical infrastructure for years. The Department of Homeland Security Bulletin of Terrorist Alert issued publicly on Nov. 30.
It is written in part as follows:
Potential targets of violence include public gatherings, faith-based institutions, LGBTQI+ communities, schools, racial and religious minorities, government facilities and employees, U.S. critical infrastructure, media, and perceived violence. ideological opponents.
Department of Homeland Security
Officials called the weekend’s power outage in North Carolina a series of coordinated attacks on power substations.
“It appears to be a deliberate, willful and malicious act and the perpetrators will be tried and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law,” said Senator Tom McInnis.
The blackout, which affected about 45,000 households at its peak, caused residents to lose heat, schools were closed, and some residents turned to providing food to charity.
according to Raleigh News and ObserversDuke Energy, the company whose substation was damaged, affecting tens of thousands of Moore County residents.
As of Tuesday, about 73% of the more than 47,000 Duke Energy customers it serves in the county were reportedly still without power.
Company said on Tuesday night The company “expects nearly all customers to have recovered by 11:59 p.m. Wednesday.”
Additionally, Moore County schools announced Tuesday afternoon that they would close schools on Wednesday and Thursday due to power outages.
suggest a fix
https://wgnradio.com/news/federal-memo-warned-of-attacks-on-power-plants/ Federal law enforcement warned of attacks on power plants