Titan submarine recovery update: Ship with wreckage of Titanic submarine returns to Newfoundland harbor

ST. Johns, Newfoundland — the ship you were looking for doomed titan submarine returned to the port of St. John’s, Newfoundland, on Wednesday with pieces of the wrecked ship.

Fragments of the missing submersible Titanic have been returned to dry land after a fatal implosion accident during a voyage to the wreck of the Titanic that captured the world’s attention last week.

Debris from the Titan submarine unloads at the Canadian Coast Guard pier in St. Johns, Newfoundland, June 28, 2023.

The return of the debris to the port of St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador, will be an important part of the investigation into why the submarine blew up and killed all five on board. A twisted mass of 22-foot-tall submarines was lowered at a Canadian Coast Guard pier on Wednesday.

The Canadian ship Horizon Arctic carried a remotely operated vehicle, or ROV, to search the seabed for submarine debris near the Titanic wreck. Pelagic Research Services, which has offices in Massachusetts and New York and owns the ROV, announced Wednesday that it has completed its offshore operations.

The Pelagic Research Services team is “still on duty” and cannot comment on the ongoing Titan investigation involving several government agencies in the United States and Canada, said company spokesman Jeff Mahoney.

“They have survived the physical and mental hardships of this operation and have been working 24/7 for 10 days and are desperate to finish their mission and return to their loved ones,” Mahoney said. .

The Coast Guard said last week that debris from the Titanic was about 12,500 feet (3,810 meters) underwater and about 1,600 feet (488 meters) from the Titanic on the ocean floor. The Coast Guard is leading an investigation into what caused the submarine to explode during its descent on June 18. Authorities said on June 22 that the submarine had exploded, killing all five people on board.

Related item: Oceangate CEO ignored warnings against using carbon fiber in submarines, engineer says

The Coast Guard convened a Marine Commission on Implosion. This is the highest level of investigation conducted by the Coast Guard.

One of the experts consulted by the Coast Guard during its search said analyzing the physical material of the recovered debris could reveal important clues as to what happened to Titan. rice field. And there may be electronic data, said Carl Hartsfield of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution.

“Certainly all the instruments onboard deep-sea rovers record data and transmit data. So the question is, is there data available, but the answer to that question is really I don’t know,” he said on Monday.

more: What does “catastrophic implosion” mean?

A representative for Horizon Arctic did not respond to a request for comment.

Coast Guard representatives declined to comment on Wednesday about the investigation or the return of debris to shore. Representatives of the National Transportation Safety Board and the Canadian Transportation Safety Board, which are involved in the investigation, also declined to comment.

The National Transportation Safety Board said the Coast Guard had declared the loss of the Titan submarine a “serious maritime casualty” and that the Coast Guard would lead an investigation.

Canadian Transportation Safety Board spokeswoman Liam MacDonald said, “We are unable to provide additional information at this time as the investigation is ongoing.”

Oceangate Expeditions, which owned and operated Titan, is based in the United States, but the submarine was registered in the Bahamas. Oceangate is based in Everett, Washington, but was closed after the discovery of Titan. Titan’s mothership Polar Prince, on the other hand, was from Canada, and those who died were from the United Kingdom, Pakistan, France, and the United States.

Killed in the implosion was Ocean Gate’s CEO and pilot, Stockton Rush. Two members of a prominent Pakistani family, Shahzada Dawood and her son Suleman Dawood. British adventurer Hamish Harding. And Titanic expert Paul-Henri Narjolet.

The operator charged passengers $250,000 per passenger for the voyage. Titan’s implosion raised questions about the safety of civilian undersea exploration activities. The Coast Guard also hopes to use the research to improve submarine safety.


Associated Press reporter Holly Reimer of Concord, New Hampshire, contributed to the report. Titan submarine recovery update: Ship with wreckage of Titanic submarine returns to Newfoundland harbor

Related Articles

Back to top button