Thursday, July 27, 2023 2:11AM
OAK PARK, Ill. (WLS) — Oak Park village officials said a person was injured after a natural gas explosion and fire Wednesday.
Village officials said Oak Park firefighters and police responded to the 200-block of South Maple Street for a fire with “collapsed sections of wall” Wednesday afternoon. Additional support has been provided by 10 other jurisdiction.
Fire officials believe the fire was caused by a natural gas explosion, but an official investigation will get underway shortly.
Chopper7 was over the building, where walls and windows were visibly blown out. There also appeared to be damage to the building’s entryway, and a hole in the roof possibly made by firefighters as they responded to the blaze, which appeared to be struck out. A large pile of debris and bricks was visible on the lawn next to the collapsed walls.
A neighbor said the building has six units, and that he and his daughter were home and felt a rumble in their building when the explosion happened.
Twelve residents have been displaced by the incident and the building has been deemed uninhabitable.
One person was taken to Loyola University Medical Center in serious condition.
People are asked to avoid the area. No further details were immediately available.
Copyright © 2023 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.
https://abc7chicago.com/oak-park-explosion-fire-news-il/13553794/ Oak Park explosion: Natural gas explosion, fire inures 1; building partially collapses, village officials say