Health

UN begins vaccination of people against Ebola in Congo | WGN Radio 720

File – File on Saturday, July 13, 2019 In the photo, the child is vaccinated against Ebola hemorrhagic fever in Beni, Democratic Republic of the Congo. The World Health Organization said last week that authorities began vaccination against Ebola in people in eastern Congo after it was confirmed that the disease had killed an infant. In a statement Wednesday, October 13, 2021, the United Nations Health Agency said that people at high risk of contracting the disease, such as boys’ families and health care workers, would receive the first dose of a Merck vaccine. (AP Photo Photo / Jerome Delay, File)

London (AP) —The World Health Organization said Wednesday that authorities began vaccination against Ebola in people in eastern Congo after it was confirmed last week that the disease had killed an infant.

The United Nations health agency said in a statement that people at high risk of developing the disease, such as boys’ families and health care workers, would receive the first dose of a Merck vaccine.

According to the WHO, about 1,000 vaccines arrived in Goma, the capital of North Kivu, Congo, and 200 vaccines were sent to Beni, a city near the area where the first case was confirmed last week.

The new Ebola outbreak, which began on October 8, follows the catastrophic epidemic that began in 2018. The disease has killed more than 2,200 people in conflict-prone areas and found that more than 80 WHO responders have been sexually abused. During the institution’s efforts to stop the disease.

Among the 15 employees dispatched to Congo this month were experts in preventing sexual abuse and exploitation, officials said.

“Experts explain to WHO employees and partners how to prevent inappropriate and abusive behavior,” WHO said.

According to an Associated Press survey in May, WHO senior executives were informed of multiple cases of sexual abuse but failed to act. The accused included a doctor who offered a female job on the vaccination team in exchange for sex.

AP also discovered that the WHO manager had signed a contract to repay a woman who was allegedly pregnant by a WHO doctor. Details are a report published last month confirmed by a panel investigating sexual abuse during a previous response to Ebola.

The panel discovered that more than 80 WHO responders were sexually abused in Congo and explained the basic structural and cultural issues of Congo.

WHO Executive Secretary Tedros Adhanom Gebreyes has visited Congo 14 times during the outbreak and has been personally responsible for overseeing the response, but allegations of sexual abuse have been announced to the press. He said he didn’t know until.

Since then, many countries and donors have urged WHO to review its emergency response system and punish staff involved in abuse. Since then, senior management has not been dismissed, and one employee who was informed of the abuse in writing was later promoted.

UN begins vaccination of people against Ebola in Congo | WGN Radio 720

Source link UN begins vaccination of people against Ebola in Congo | WGN Radio 720

Related Articles

Back to top button