Chicago (AP) — A federal judge ordered R & B superstar R. Kelly to go to Chicago next year for child pornography and obstruction of justice after a planned ruling. His conviction in a previous sex trafficking trial In New York.
Judge Harry Reinenweber of the U.S. District Court apparently wanted to start the trial in Chicago sooner, but one of Kelly’s lawyers, Stephen Greenberg, had another Kelly lawyer. He set up a trial on August 1, after stating that he would be tried in other cases until the month. ..
The lawyer told the judge in a brief hearing that he estimated that the trials of Kelly and co-defendants Deler McDavid and Milton “June” Brown would last three to four weeks.
Kelly, who Stay imprisoned in New YorkI was listening to the conference call, but he didn’t speak. His sentence is scheduled for May 4, and he is facing life imprisonment.
Experts say prosecutors could withdraw their charges in state court if they were sentenced to long-term imprisonment in New York. However, there is virtually no possibility that Chicago’s federal crimes will be withdrawn.
Kelly, who has been imprisoned without bail since 2019, Convicted last month Conspiracy charges and other counts by a federal jury in New York. Greenberg said Wednesday that Kelly was put on suicide surveillance after the trial, but it was over.
Copyright 2021 AP communication. all rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.
Deliver local news to your inbox!
R. Kelly’s Chicago Trial on Federal Sexual Suspects Set on August 1st | National News
Source link R. Kelly’s Chicago Trial on Federal Sexual Suspects Set on August 1st | National News