Kongsberg, Norway — A Danish man who died in a small Norwegian town suspected of a bow and arrow attack is a Muslim convert who was previously flagged as radicalized, police said Thursday. Told to. The Norwegian National Security Agency said the suspect’s actions “now look like acts of terrorism.”
The man is suspected of shooting people in many parts of the town of Kongsburg on Wednesday night. Some of the victims were in the supermarket, police said.
“In the past, I was worried that men might have radicalized,” police chief Ole B. Saveld said at a news conference. “There are complex motivational assessments that will take some time to become apparent,” he added. He didn’t elaborate on the implications of radicalization.
Norwegian domestic security agencies, known by the acronym PST, cite various aspects of the attack that injured the two in explaining the belief that the suspect’s actions “now look like acts of terrorism.” Did.
“Attacking random people in public places is a recurring tactic among extremist Islamists conducting terrorism in the west,” said domestic security agencies.
Authorities said, “The most likely scenario of a very Muslim terrorist attack in Norway is carried out by one or several perpetrators of a simple weapon type against targets with little or no security measures. It is an attack that will be done. “
“The PST has long been known to the PST because it couldn’t provide more information about him,” he added.
“The investigation will reveal more details about the motives of the case,” the PST said in a statement.
Ann Iren Svane Matthiasen, a police lawyer who is leading the investigation, told Norwegian broadcaster NRK that the suspect will be assessed by forensic and psychiatric experts on Thursday.
“This is not uncommon in such serious cases,” she said.
The victims were four women and one man between the ages of 50 and 70, Saeverud said.
Police were warned Wednesday at 6:12 pm by a man shooting an arrow at Kongsburg, about 66 km (41 miles) southwest of Oslo. Police contacted the suspect, but he escaped and was not caught until 6:47 pm, Saveld said.
Authorities believe the man did not begin to kill people until police arrived at the scene.
“From what we know now, it’s reasonably clear that some, and perhaps all, were killed after police contacted the perpetrators,” Saeverud said.
After his arrest, the suspect spoke calmly and clearly, telling police that “I did this.” “I clearly explained what he did. He admitted that he had killed five people,” she told The Associated Press.
According to spectators, the rampage took place today in a quiet and shocked little town with a clear view of dozens of witnesses. According to Svane Mathiassen, police have already talked with 20 to 30 witnesses who witnessed the attackers injured and killed their victims.
“Someone saw him in the city. Before the murder. At that time he hurt people,” she said.
Eric Benham, who lives on the same road as one of the crime scenes in a supermarket, told AP that he saw an escaped clerk evacuating to the doorway.
“I saw them hiding in the corner, then I went to see what was happening, and I saw the police come in with a shield and a rifle. It was a very strange sight. “
The next morning, he said, the whole town was eerily quiet. “People are sad and shocked.”
Bows and arrows were only part of the murderer’s weapons. Police have not yet confirmed the other weapons he used. Weapons experts and other technical officers have been drafted to assist in the investigation.
Both hospitalized victims are in the intensive care unit. They include off-duty police officers who were in the store. Their condition was not immediately known.
The suspect has been detained in a preliminary indictment that is one step short of a formal indictment. He will officially face custody at a hearing on Friday. Police believe he acted alone.
“It goes without saying that this is a very serious and widespread situation, which naturally affects Kongsburg and the people who live here,” police spokesman Oeyvind Aas said earlier.
Norwegian media reported that the suspect had previously been convicted of robbery and possession of drugs, and last year a district court ordered him to leave his parents for six months after threatening to kill one of his parents. I gave a restraint order.
The newly appointed Prime Minister-Jonas Gahr Stoere called the attack “terrifying.”
“This is unrealistic, but in reality, five people have died, many have been injured, and many have been shocked,” Gahr Stoere told Norwegian broadcaster NRK.
In a statement to the Mayor of Kongsberg, King Harald V of Norway said that people “experienced that their safe local environment suddenly became a dangerous place. In my daily life on public roads, I When horrific things happen near us, when you don’t expect it the most, it shakes us all. “
“I am shocked and saddened by the tragic news from Norway,” UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres wrote on Twitter.
The main church in Kongsburg, a small town with a population of about 26,000, was available to anyone in need.
“I don’t think anyone would expect such an experience, but no one could have imagined that this would happen in our small town,” parish priest Reidar Aasboe told AP.
Mass slaughter is rare in Norway, where crime is low.
The country’s worst peacetime massacre killed eight people on July 22, 2011, when right-wing extremist Andersbrevik fired a bomb in the capital Oslo. Then he headed to the small island of Utoya. There he stalked most teenage members of the Labor Party’s youth division and killed an additional 69 victims.
Breivik was sentenced to a maximum of 21 years in prison under Norwegian law, but he can extend his term as long as it is considered dangerous to society.
The PST said Thursday that Norway’s terrorist threat levels have remained unchanged and are considered “moderate.”
Suggest a fix
Norwegian authorities: Bow and arrow attack seems to be a terrorist act
Source link Norwegian authorities: Bow and arrow attack seems to be a terrorist act