US & World

Israeli police beat mourners at the funeral of a journalist in Al Jazeera – Chicago Tribune

Jerusalem — Israeli police moved to a crowd of mourners at the funeral of Al Jazeera journalist Sirine Abu Acre on Friday, beating demonstrators with a baton and causing a casket attendant to temporarily drop the casket. ..

The crackdown took place during a rare show of Palestinian nationalism in East Jerusalem, which was occupied by Israel in 1967 and is part of a sanctuary that the Palestinians claim to be the capital.

Israel says East Jerusalem was part of its capital and annexed the region in an internationally unrecognized move. Israel routinely cracks down on expressions of support for the Palestinian state.

Thousands of mourners, raising the Palestinian flag and chanting “Palestine, Palestine,” attended Abu Acre’s funeral.

“We die for Palestine to live,” the crowd chanted. “Our beloved house.” Then they sang the Palestinian national anthem.

Prior to worship, dozens of mourners left the hospital and tried to march with a casket to the Catholic Church in the nearby Old Town.

Police said the hospital crowd was chanting “nationalist incitement,” ignoring the call to stop and throwing stones at the police. “The police were forced to act,” the police said.

Meanwhile, Israeli troops have shown in the first investigation of Abu Acre’s death that a fierce gun battle is underway in the west bank town of Genin, about 200 meters (yards) from where she was killed. By Israeli troops or Palestinian militants who said she could not determine if she was shot.

Israel has announced that Israeli police have been killed in a new battle in Genin on Friday.

Nowadays, the territory of Palestine and the entire Arab world are full of sadness. Abu Acre is a widely respected broadcast correspondent who spent a quarter of a century covering the reality of a harsh life under Israeli military control.

After a hot scene outside the hospital, police closed the hospital and gave tear gas to dozens of protesters after allowing the family to drive the coffin into a Catholic church in the old town full of mourners. Fired.

After worship, thousands of people headed to the cemetery, waving the Palestinian flag and chanting “Palestine, Palestine.”

A few hours later she was buried in a graveyard outside the old town.

Qatar-based Al Jazeera had previously stated that its managing director, Ahmad Ariafei, would travel to Jerusalem to attend the funeral.

Israel is calling for a joint investigation with the Palestinian Authority and the delivery of bullets for forensic analysis to determine who fired the deadly round. The PA refused, stating that it would conduct its own investigation and send the results to the International Criminal Court. The International Criminal Court has already investigated the possibility of Israeli war crimes.

In a statement released Friday, the military said Palestinian militants had recklessly fired hundreds of bullets into Israeli military vehicles. The Israeli army turned the fire back and said it would not be possible to determine who was responsible for her death without conducting a ballistic analysis.

“The conclusion of the interim investigation is that it is impossible to determine the cause of the fire that attacked and killed the reporter,” the military said.

A reporter with Abu Acre, including a person who was shot dead and injured, said there were no clashes or militants in the immediate vicinity when she was killed early Wednesday. All of them wore protective equipment that clearly identified them as reporters.

Both sides may question the other conclusion, and it seems unlikely that a third party will conduct an independent investigation.

PA and Al Jazeera accused Israel of deliberately killing Israel within hours of Abuakure’s death. Israel says a full investigation is needed before drawing any conclusions.

According to rights groups, Israel rarely tracks investigations into the killings of Palestinians by security forces and rarely imposes generous punishments. However, because Abu Acre was a well-known person and an American citizen, the incident is under close scrutiny.

51-year-old Abu Acre joined Al Jazeera’s Arabic service in 1997 and gained attention in the early 2000s to cover the rebellion against the second Palestinian Intifada, the rule of Israel.

She was shot in the head early Wednesday while reporting on Israeli arrest raids in Genin. Palestinians in and around Genin have launched a series of deadly attacks in Israel over the past few weeks, with Israel launching almost daily arrest raids in the region, often igniting gun battles with militants. I did.

Israeli troops pushed into Genin again at the beginning of Friday. The Associated Press photographer heard the fierce shootings and explosions and said Israeli troops were surrounding the house.

The Palestinian Ministry of Health said 13 Palestinians, including those whose stomachs were shot, were hospitalized after being injured in the fighting. Israeli troops tweeted that Palestinians fired when they entered the army to arrest suspected militants. Police said a 47-year-old member of Israel’s special command unit had been killed.

In the 1967 war, Israel occupied the West Bank and East Jerusalem, including the Jewish, Christian, and Muslim holy old towns and their sanctuaries. Palestinians want both territories as part of their future state. Israel has annexed East Jerusalem in an internationally unrecognized move, considering the entire city as its capital.

Police went to Abu Acre’s parents’ home in Jerusalem on the day she was killed and appeared at other memorial events in the city to remove the Palestinian flag.

Associated Press reporters Majidi Mohammed of Jenin on the West Bank, Joseph Federman of Jerusalem, and Aya Batrawi of Dubai, United Arab Emirates contributed to this report.

Israeli police beat mourners at the funeral of a journalist in Al Jazeera – Chicago Tribune

Source link Israeli police beat mourners at the funeral of a journalist in Al Jazeera – Chicago Tribune

Related Articles

Back to top button