Lexington, KentuckyNewsNation Now) — A freshman at the University of Kentucky died after being found unresponsive at the Yuai Kaikan. The coroner’s office said the student died of “estimated alcohol toxicity.”
Gary Gin, Coroner of Fayette County, identified the student as Henderson’s Thomas “Lofton” Hazelwood, 18 years old. Toxicity test results are pending.
The student was a member of FarmHouse Fraternity. The university suspended its activities in the Brotherhood while Hazelwood’s death was being investigated, Eli Capilouto, president of the university, and Kirsten Turner, vice president of student success, said in a message to the campus community on Tuesday night. Stated.
University spokesman Jay Brunton said campus police were called to the Brotherhood around 6:20 pm on Monday. The student was taken to the hospital, but attempts to revive him failed, Brunton said.
“There is no suspicion of cheating, but police are investigating the situation of his death,” Brunton said.
British police have begun an investigation. Chief Joe Monroe told NewsNation-affiliated WDKY that they were in the process of interviewing people. The UK Student Behavior Agency has also begun a review.
They said there may be some edits to protect student privacy, but they will be published once those investigations are complete.
Brunton told WDKY that he was aware that it could take some time to complete both investigations. But he said it was premature to speculate on any changes in their fraternity and sorority system, which would be part of the investigation.
Hazelwood majored in agricultural economics, Brunton said.
The college stayed up all night on Tuesday night to remember Hazelwood. The other was planned on Wednesday night.
The university is asking people who know what happened to call the British police.
WDKY, an affiliate of The Associated Press and NewsNation, contributed to this report.
Suggest a fix
A fraternity member at the University of Kentucky found an unresponsive death of “presumed alcohol toxicity”
Source link A fraternity member at the University of Kentucky found an unresponsive death of “presumed alcohol toxicity”